The Boise architectural firm of J. E. Tourtellotte and Company won a competition to design Idaho’s new capitol 15 years after Idaho had become a state in 1905. The construction began in the summer of 1906. The external construction material is sandstone obtained from a quarry on Table Rock. Tourtellotte (and later Hummel) designed many of Boise’s historic buildings and homes including the Immanuel M.E. Church in Hyde Park.
Labor in cutting and moving the stone came from penitentiary inmates which was just below the quarry. The capitol’s central section was completed late in 1912. The 1913 inauguration of Governor John M. Haines was held in the new building. Tourtellotte and Hummel was awarded a contract to design east and west wings. Their construction began in 1919. The capitol was completed at the end of 1920.
The Capitol finished a two and a half year renovation ending in October 2009. For more information on that renovation, click here.
The Capitol contains offices for the elected officials of the State of Idaho including the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, and Attorney General. The Capitol rotunda is hailed as one of the finest in the United States and the Capitol grounds contain plants, trees and beddings that win national awards annually.
Questions about restoration & general inquiries:
Capitol Communication Coordinator
Idaho Department of Administration