State Street Marketplace and West State
The area was originally developed as part of the construction of the “new” Albertson’s store at 16th and State, the site of the original Albertson’s supermarket opened in 1939. The development covered 4 city blocks and required the closing of Washington Street between 16th and 18th streets. The area is now called the “Marketplace” and has become a center of commercial activity in the North End and the commuting public that comes into downtown on State Street to stop at Starbucks in the morning or come back at noon for shopping at the 50 plus businesses in the area.
West State Street is anchored at one end by the Idaho State Capitol complex and skirts downtown between the North End and corporate HQs as it heads west with a street lined by small businesses, shopping areas and a mix of homes and stand alone businesses.
The Thom George photo shows State Street looking east toward the Capitol. For more about Thom’s adventures – click here.
Joe Albertson was educated in Idaho and built the store on some personal savings, a little borrowed money and a spirit of innovation. The original site was on State Street and housed Albertson’s general offices until 1981 when the new offices in Parkcenter were built.
Featured Business and Services
The UPS Store
Clothing and stuff
Shu’s Running World
Idaho Sporting Goods
Eateries & Specialty Foods
Cloud Nine Brewery
Smokey Mountain Pizza
General Food & Drug Stores
Rite Aid Drugs
Idaho River Sports
To see how to get your business linked to from this page check out the Northend.org Business Support page.